Apps are a great way of keeping Christian teaching and practice with you during your daily life. The following popular apps support your Bible reading, prayer and reflection.
The Holy Bible
- Read and compare 1000 translations and/or let the audio read to you.
- Subscribe to daily reading, plans and videos as an individual, small group and as a whole church.
- Add bookmarks, highlights and notes and sync’ with the Cloud.
- Use free images or your own photos to create ‘verse images’.
- Share passages easily on social media.
- Discover events near you and advertise your own events.
- Add friends and/or connect to a wider group using this App.
Bible for Kids
- This app is available in over 40 languages.
- There are 41 great Bible stories so far to access.
- Read, watch animations and play games.
- Child-friendly navigation helps children access the content.
- Free resources such as colouring pages and activity sheets are available to download and print.
The Common Lectionary
- Access the Church of England’s collect and post-communions for the day.
- Mark and annotate records.
- View the weeks lectionary whenever you like.
- Read biographies from ‘Saints on Earth’ of individuals commemorated in the Common Worship calendar on that day.
Reflection on the Psalms
- Follow a simple pattern of Psalms over the course of a month in the given order or in any order you choose.
- Read commentaries written by leading writers in the Church of England.
- Access Morning, Evening and Night Prayer for yesterday, today and a month ahead
- Switch between Contemporary and Traditional formats with one click
- Increase/reduce the type-size of all services
- The app is free to download and includes free access to online material up to one month in advance. To view material offline and access to material up to 12 months in advance, a small annual subscription fee applies.
Pray as You Go
- Pray as you go is a daily prayer session, particularly designed for use whilst travelling to and from work, study, etc.
- Receive prayer sessions that last between ten and thirteen minutes, combining music, scripture and some questions for reflection.
- Use new prayer sessions to frame your own prayer, produced every day of the working week and one session for the weekend.
- Access a number of prayer tools, retreats and resources.
- Use the app in English, French, Dutch, Spanish.
- Set the app so that you have a period of silent prayer with your choice of opening and closing passages, sounds and duration of silence.
- Links to the Centering Prayer website with resources, videos, retreat groups and more.
- A monthly bulletin is available via email.
Reflections for Daily Prayer
This app edition of The Common Lectionary contains exactly the same content as the printed edition, but also allows you to:
- Read the text of the day’s Morning Prayer Bible readings in full.
- Integrate the Reflection into a simple pattern of Morning Prayer.
- Search by Bible reference, contributor and date.
- Taketime meditations uses your imagination to provide a calm, comfortable space in which to meet God. A new meditation is added each week.
- Meditations range from 5-20 mins and you can listen to them anywhere you like. The 5 minute versions are simply an imaginative encounter. The 10-15 minute versions add to this a relaxation exercise and moments to rest in God’s presence. The 20 minute version adds to this an option to go back into the story and imagine who you might be, how that might feel and what God might be saying to you through the experience.
- Although the meditations are each based on an episode from the Christian gospels, no religious knowledge or background is required.
- In some parts of the country there are Taketime groups and training is available from the Taketime team should you wish to start a group yourself. Just go to their website for more information.
- This app offers 34 adaptable versions of the Examen, based on Reimagining the Ignatian Examen, by Thibodeaux.
- Reflections can be set to soothing music and step-by-step guidance.
- Users can choose from one of the themes or follow the Examen of the day.
- Use the ideas from the app to help plan reflective activities for church groups.
- Link to the App website where you find a prayer card, articles, blogs from those who use the Examen prayer as part of their daily routine and information about online retreats.
3 Minute Retreat
- A new retreat is available each day for you to experience three minutes of peace.
- Receive email reminders, if you wish, and link to the retreat on your laptop.
- The website has links to archived meditations and really helpful if you want to print material for reflection.